Crafty Bridal Headband

In case you didn’t know, I have short hair.  No, really short.  I don’t have the luxury of getting my hair all done fancy for special events, like, I dunno… a wedding.  I’ve been pinning pictures of brides with short hair for awhile to get a feel for my options.  You know what?  There aren’t too many pictures of brides with short hair on the interwebs!  But the ones I did find looked super cute with a simple headband.

Next step was to price headbands, and when I saw that they run at least $25 or $30 (sometimes more), I thought I could make something I really liked myself, for cheaper (probably).  So I started pinning DIY headband tutorials like this one.  I still didn’t have a clear picture in my mind of what I wanted, but I was anxious to get crafty, so I headed off to Hobby Lobby.

This is what I came home with:

supplies

All told, I spent about $16 including tax on the various supplies.  I sat down one afternoon and started playing with the supplies, literally throwing things together to see what came out.  One of the first things I did was wrap the off-white ribbon (the kind that has a bit of wire in the edges, so it stays put) around the headband.  This particular headband even had a handy little wrap of ribbon around the ideal spot to place a feature embellishment:

headbandwrapped headband

(And even better, there happened to be a knot in the ribbon that ended up right at that spot, so I could still locate it after I wrapped the headband!)  I hot glued the ends of the ribbon to the headband when I was done wrapping.

Next I started playing with which embellishment would go on the headband.  I had picked up some flat-ish crocheted flower shapes in the scrapbooking section and started playing around with those to see if I could make it into something that looked decent:

placement1up close crochet

Then I stitched them down to the black felt right down the center, so it would stay in place.

Next I started beading the center of the flower with some glass pearls (4mm, I think), and some light pink crystal beads:

half-beaded

When I finished with the flower center, I added some “bridal trim” to the outer spokes.  The trim came in one long piece, but I simply cut each individual flower off and hot glued it in place:

"bridal trim"all trimmed

Next I hot glued all of the edges to the black felt, and cut the felt shape out.  I put a dab of hot glue right on the headband, and placed the embellishment on the dab of glue.  Then I cut some felt patches to glue to either side of the band to hold the embellishment in place:

glued felt patches to hold in place

And then I tried on the finished product:

finished headbandon the bride!

Not bad for $16 and a little crafty fun!

Crafty Gift Review

I know I shared some of the crafty gifts I was giving for Christmas this past year, but I couldn’t share them all because some of my loved ones actually read my blog!  And I realized today that I can share them now (now, that it’s February…)

This is a tote bag I picked up from Hobby Lobby for $3.  I also used sprayable fabric paint, and contact paper for the stencil (which I downloaded from Martha Stewart).  I traced the stencil onto clear contact paper with a sharpie, and then cut it out, and applied it to the front of the bag. I was able to use the stencil twice (I made two bags), although I did have a few small tears that I had to pay special attention to with the second bag.  Once the stencil was applied, I used the spray-paint, also found at Hobby Lobby, and let it sit.  When dry, I peeled back the stencil, leaving this:

cherry branch tote bag

I also made some large prints like these, but made it much easier on myself by using large poster frames (which were 70% off at Michael’s) rather than trying to use spray adhesive or mod podge to attach them to MDF or foam core board.  Then when they inevitably fade, I can replace them with new ones.  The three prints altogether cost me about $3 at Staples.  I think the three frames together came to about $20 at Michael’s:

large engineering prints

Finally, in the picture above, you can also see my little silhouette project, which was way easier than it looked and brought tears to my mom’s eyes.  I used this tutorial (although getting The Boy to be still enough to get a sideways shot of his head was easier said than done – I managed to get one while he was asleep), and here is a larger shot of the outcome:

silhouette

We had a fine, crafty Christmas, and my pocketbook is thanking me for it!