- I have an “orientation” at Michael’s (the craft store) tomorrow to become an official employee, so I can start teaching scrapbooking classes. The pay isn’t as good as I anticipated, but I hope it will supplement my other part-time job…
- tutoring! So far, I kinda sorta have one student (his mom and I have a game plan, but not a schedule yet), and he has autism – yay! Suffice it to say I could make up to $30 a week all told!! I know, exciting, right? But in about three weeks, once I can get my classes set up and advertised, and parents start to realize their kids need help, I should get some more hours at Michael’s, and I should get some more tutoring students. And it might be enough to make my car payment…
- I’m waiting to hear back from the county about whether or not we qualify for The Boy to be on the state-provided health insurance program. Any day now… Nah. More like 30 days from now… Hopefully.
- I’m going to be volunteering and helping The Boy’s band director out a couple of days a week. I also told him I could come in when he has a substitute. He thought I might want to be the substitute, and I assured him I did not. If I’m a volunteer, I can get away with a lot more… Heh, heh, heh…
- I’m trying to work with The Boy’s school to get his services ironed out. They are NOT right, and I think they have had very limited experience with kids with autism. More on that in another post, but suffice it to say that right now, I’m reading some books from Wrightslaw about Special Education Law. Just in case.
- I’m helping my hubby with some of his big projects. We joke that I don’t get paid, but when he makes money, I make money, and this allows him to get done quicker, which means more work, which means more money… you get the picture. Plus I get to spend the day with him, which is nice about 99% of the time 😉
- I get to drop off and pick up my kid right from school – no daycare! I’ve never been able to do this, and it’s pretty cool.
So in summation, I don’t have a ton of money coming in, and my insurance runs out this week. But for the first time in about 17 years, I’m able to give thought and energy to my own kid and my own family, and I have the time to do it, and do it well.
We went to the beach today, a family day. A gorgeous, sunny, not-too-hot, wonderful day. And I am so happy I do not have to return up North because school is starting back up again. I even told The Man how extremely happy I am today… except for not having a job yet.
This limbo looks like a lot more fun…
No, I didn’t get the job that I was hoping for, and I took it a lot harder than I expected. I do have a part-time job teaching scrapbooking at a local craft store. I haven’t signed any paperwork, but it’s pretty much a done deal. This kind of part-time, though, will be very few hours, at least at the beginning, and rather low pay. So I am still looking, and follow up on my other leads. But I’m not as discouraged as I was late last week.
Because I don’t have anything lined up, I now need to investigate insurance options for The Boy. I have to determine this week if we qualify for any of the state programs. If we don’t, I have to start shopping for health insurance, which is a pretty daunting task.
I guess the silver lining is that I have the time to do this, and the time to meet with The Boy’s teachers, and attend his orientation (at 9am in the morning?!), and do this research on health insurance.
Like The Man keeps telling me, I’ll take it day by day. 😉
I’m still unemployed. I know, “Join the club!”, right? But I did have a couple of great interviews, and although nothing came of the first, I’m very hopeful about the second one, the one I really want, the one that’s in a completely different field, but feels like it would be challenging enough to engage my brain, use the skills I already have, and could turn into a long term thing… But I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high. I know myself too well for that. I should hear back on that one any day now.
In the meantime, I have some very promising part-time leads. You may think (and even some days I think), “What in the world could you do with only part-time work?” But I’m not knocking it yet. Part-time, minimum-wage work may not be worth my time, but the opportunities I have seem to earn more than that, and even if they don’t, if I can cobble them together, I may just have something.
So I’m hopeful to get this full-time with bennies gig, but if for some reason I should not, it doesn’t mean I have to go back to the drawing board. I feel like I’m in a pretty decent spot. I’ll keep you posted 😉
P.S. Also wondering if I should go “pro” and see if this little blog can earn some money… What do you think?